ByElsieB Banner

Blog about living a life to nurture, cherish and create.

Monday, 6 January 2014

Vintage style children's room decor

Hi! My name is Tania and I am the owner of The Little Vintage Cottage Etsy shop. My friend Lucy asked me if I’d like to write a little guest post for her blog about adding vintage style to children’s rooms. “I’d love to,” I said!

Children’s rooms can be so much fun to decorate and you can include things that aren’t necessarily youth oriented like maps and typography. My daughter is 23 now and on her own but oh, how I wish I still had a reason to decorate a child’s room!

Vintage maps as room decor
Source: http://www.gingerandmay.co.uk/vintage-style-kids-rooms.php
I love how they have papered a whole accent wall with maps in this room. It’s a great way to add impact and color!

Vintage maps as room decor
Source: http://minipiccolini.com/2012/07/decorating-childrens-spaces-with-maps-globes/
Isn’t this pretty? The pastel colors of these framed maps are perfect for boys and girls!

Maps in children's room decor
Source: http://minipiccolini.com/2012/07/decorating-childrens-spaces-with-maps-globes/
These ones ones are little bit bolder but so cool looking! And I could totally see one of Lucy’s amazing name pillows in that crib or on one of those cute beds.

Maps in children's room decor
Source: http://minipiccolini.com/2012/07/decorating-childrens-spaces-with-maps-globes/
And here are some more great ideas for maps! You can cover a lamp shade; create a mobile for above baby’s crib, or a pennant banner for a fun accent!

Vintage style children's room decor
Source: http://jsdpn.com/childrens-wall-maps-for-your-rooms-decorating-ideas/kids-room-design-ideas-with-ceiling-fan-childrens-wall-maps-world-and-toys-storages/
You can never have too much storage in a child’s room; vintage crates are perfect when wheels are added to make them mobile and easily moved out of the way.

Vintage typography room decor
Source: http://www.decoist.com/2012-08-14/a-picture-speaks-a-thousand-words-typography-asks-a-thousand-more-stylish-art-for-any-room/
Typography in almost any form is fun for a child’s bedroom!

Vintage books bunting
Source: http://www.itstaylormade.com/2013/07/vintage-book-bunting.html
And of course there are always vintage children’s books; the graphics in these are so adorable. Look at this amazing book bunting! You can find directions for making your own at here.

Vintage books display
Source: http://coreymoortgat.blogspot.com/2013/06/pretty-pastel-redecorating.html
Or they can just be propped on a shelf for a fun look! And you can use books from your childhood without damaging them this way.

I hope you have gotten some fun ideas for decorating your little one’s room or maybe you are dreaming of a grandchild one day like me! :o) Tania

Thank you Tania for these really inspiring ideas on how to incorporate vintage style into children's room decor. Follow Tania on facebook or on twitter.
Share this:

7 comments :

  1. Littlevintagecottage Tania6 January 2014 at 17:09

    Thanks Lucy! This was really a fun article to write, I hope others enjoy it as well!

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic ideas as always Tania!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Children love maps and if you give them some places to look for they can spend hours pouring over them. I bet some schools are getting rid of those huge maps that roll up like a shade in the name of "progress." Fun to to read and I always love looking at pictures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to rescue some of those old roll-up maps from the first Geography department where I was a student teacher but alas they were too big and I didn't have anywhere to store them at the time. I adore maps and try to put them everywhere in my home! Thanks for your comments, Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your contribution, Tania. They really are great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Miriam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you know there are the old fold up maps that National Geographic used to include in their magazines. I guess that got too expensive because I haven't seen one of those in years. I think I have a few of them stashed around the house somewhere~~couldn't find them if my life depended on it though.

    ReplyDelete