ByElsieB Banner

Blog about living a life to nurture, cherish and create.

Tuesday, 22 October 2013

The comforts of autumn

Autumn is well and truly here now. Last week
Pink hot water bottle
 I wrote about some of the struggles that autumn seems to bring with it. Today, I thought I'd celebrate some of the comforts that autumn brings that are pleasures of the season.
  • Hot water bottles - these are a source of real comfort. The contrast of the cold outside the bed and the warmth in the bed. It is particularly nice if you've had to get out of bed in the middle of the night to deal with a small child who has woken, and there is something there to warm your icy feet that isn't your sleeping partner!
  • Stews and the slow cooker - Stews are so comforting and warming from the inside. I love using the slow cooker to make them. It means you can make them hours ahead of time, rather than battling to get something cooked in what some call the 'witching-hour' between 5pm and 5:30pm when the moods of the youngest members of the household are not improving. Having the delicious aroma permeate the whole house all day is also very pleasant.
  • Log-fires - so warming to the body and the soul. Lovely.
  • Thick woolly socks and slippers - there's nothing particularly visually attractive about either of these things (if you've found a sexy, and warming, pair of slippers please let me know). There is something very lovely about having warm feet though.
  • Winter woollies - hats, gloves, scarves, jumpers may be time consuming to put on multiple members of the family when you want to leave the house. However, the littlies do look very cute in them, and it makes them even more cuddly.
What are your favourite autumn comforts?
Share this:

3 comments :

  1. Soups and stews are my jam! Here in North Texas, it doesn't get chilly until mid-winter...but, that doesn't stop me from breaking out the crock pot! I'm also a big fan of an afternoon cuppa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love jam too - but that's more of a late summer thing here, when the berries are ripe. I've done a few chutneys in my time as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think slippers are awfully sexy, don't know what you mean at all! ;)

    Love this post, might answer it with a few of my own soon :)

    ReplyDelete